Friday, February 4, 2011

My Not-So-Happy List

I've been in a bit of a writing mood lately, hence this inundation of blog posts. Yet despite yesterdays positive sign off I have managed to work myself into quite the funk (bad mood) in the last 24 hours. I’m not sure if it’s just one of ‘those things’, the fact that I’m stressing over a few things or what really, but it is making me feel physically ill.

Due to the fact that I am currently away from my usual place of residence I am unable to do the activities I usually partake in to work myself out of a bad mood. So, as a possible alternative, I am going to write a list of all the things that make me happy. Hopefully thinking about the things I would usually do will help me out of my bad mood.

  • The Beach- I love going for walks along the beach of an evening, especially when there is no-one else around. The air smells so good, the waves sound so powerful and I just can’t keep the smile off my face.
  • Drawing- Drawing can be a bit hit and miss for me, sometimes it’s like having a massive case of writers block and nothing my pen draws is how it’s supposed to be. When I’m in a bad mood I usually draw what is supposed to be me, but these drawings hardly ever look exactly like me. They usually look incredibly sad. As odd as it sounds, they do somehow feel like me.
  • Listening to music- A fantastic way to escape the crazy of your own head.
  • Friends- A nice long chat with a good friend is a great way to face reality. They know you nearly as well as you do yourself, they're not afraid (hopefully) to tell you to pull yourself together, they can offer sympathy and then move onto gossip as a fun distraction. You just have to hope your phone bill isn’t too expensive or that you don’t run out of credit like I did last night!
  • Pets- My cat isn’t the most sympathetic of creatures, but if I surprise her when she’s asleep I can get a pretty decent hug from her.
  • A  Hot shower- I turn the cold water so that’s it’s nearly completely off and just stand under the water until I run out of hot. It just makes me feel as if all of the bad is being washed away, leaving me clean and ready to start over. This used to be when I’d have a good cry, read on for more info.
  • A Good Cry/Wallowing in my own self-pity- Not a great way to get yourself out of a bad mood but sometimes it just feels good to have a bit of a sook no matter how trivial the problem actually is. Unfortunately for me, crying helps me more than wallowing, but I seem to have lost the ability to do so except for when I'm extremely angry. I haven’t had a decent cry for over 12 months.

I’m sure that there are other things I do that make me happy, but these are the ones I turn too as a bad mood remedy. Unfortunately for me, writing about them didn’t help my mood. I will just have to make the best of what is tonight and hope that by tomorrow, I am in a more positive mindset. If not, then I’m just going to head home and use up all of my hot water.

No comments: